1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skittish ducky.. :/

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ktduck, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey :)

My 2 Khakis are 9 weeks old now. One is getting increasingly skittish...from a baby she was always the shy one, but now she runs unless I have treats! The other guy is so clingy and affectionate! Aside from treats, sitting/talking with them, is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable around us again?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ktduck,

this is a normal - healthy, I think - phase many ducklings go through at this age.

And I think you are doing what you can - treats, sitting and talking.

I was advised to stay as low as possible, and to make gentle noises, not sneak up on them or corner them. It's their survival instinct. Not all ducklings seem to go through this, but many do.

3. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Amiga! I thought this was the case but just wanted some re assurance. They are so big now sometimes I forget they are still adolescents hehe.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ktduck, I was heartbroken that morning when all of a sudden, they ran screaming from me instead of peeping toward me. It was a few people from BYC duck forum who helped me through all that, now almost four years ago.

5. ktduck

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I know, it makes me really sad when she runs :( But I am hoping as you have said that it is just a phase

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by