Skittish, noise sensitivity??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SamanthaBrooke, Feb 13, 2013.

1. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Hi there,
    I have 31, 1 week old d'Uccle chicks that I have been handling every day, I stick to a schedule of check ups, water and feed changes and just standing there watching and talking to them, at night I take them all out one by one and play with their wings, feet and stroke them gently before placing them in a small box so I can clean the brooder, after wards I will sit with the box in my lap and just sit and talk to them while petting them and laying my hand in the box for them to snuggle against or crawl on, after wards I put them all back, repeating the wing, feet and stroke step.

My question is how do I get them used to noises? it seems like each time I go in they all scatter to every corner of their brooder in fear, I give them very good warning of my entering by talking extra quietly before I even enter their room but despite my process they are still fleeing, what should I do? it is so VERY important that they not fear me, I need them to come up to me and be easy to catch when they are adults because they will(Some of them) attend in my local small scale shows.

Would running a quiet radio help with noise sensitivity? Am I doing something wrong or is there anything I can do better or differently?

The most chicks I have had at once were 13 Seramas which quickly figured out I was harmless.

Thank you!

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I believe chicks need that survival trait to make it to adulthood in their reality. Don't worry about when they're adults as training them to come with food treats is very easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by