Skittish pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thataussielady, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Thataussielady

Thataussielady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    I have two young pullets(around 10 weeks), a Silkie and a Wyandotte. We raised both of them from when they were 3 weeks and they had hours of human contact daily. For some reason though they are very skittish. We put one foot towards them and they go running. We raised most of our other chickens from when they were a few weeks but we have never had this problem before. I was on another forum and they said to try and hand feed them but they won't even come near me. Does anyone have any advice?

2. kikithebird

kikithebird Chillin' With My Peeps

hello and welcome to byc the same happened with my old chickens even though i raised them since 2 days old

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Totally normal phase for them to go through. They're becoming teenagers and therefore more independent. As chicks, they saw you as Mama. At this age, they would have been kicked to the curb by Mama and be learning to fend for themselves. They have a strong instinct to avoid all predators. And, even though you raised them, and had that Mama relationship with them, you do RESEMBLE a predator. So, they'll keep their distance. As they come closer to sexual maturity, and as you continue to provide good things to eat, they'll come back to you, this time, seeing you as their Alpha (rooster) Before those first eggs, they may run up to you and squat in front of you. Do they have food in front of them all the time? Try feeding them only 1 - 2 x/day. They'll be sure to come running when you bring their food. Always use feeding time as a training tool. Use a signature call for them every time they get food, so they will learn to come running when you call them. This is an excellent tool to use to train them so you can put them back in their run or coop after they've been free ranging.

4. Thataussielady

Thataussielady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia

Thanks for your advice, I only fed them twice today so when they saw me with food they came running! Although they wouldn't eat out of my hand they were comfortable with me around them. It's good to know that this Is just natural instincts and not anything I've done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by