Skittish Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dgkatz, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I just aquired a new rooster a few weeks ago that I wanted to use for breeding. I've had him about 3 weeks now and he is very skittish, even my older hens chase him out of the way. When I first brought in my former Roo he took charge right away. Should I be concerned about breeding with this new Roo?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    try handling him a lot.. see if he calms down. if not.. i wouldn't fool with him, wildness then would have a high chance of being bred into the offspring.

3. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I wouldn't call it wildness, more like cowardly

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:well then skittish wasn't exactly the right word to use [​IMG] i still wouldn't breed him if he acts like a coward.. its just me, but some people don't mind that so i guess its up to you?

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:well then skittish wasn't exactly the right word to use [​IMG] i still wouldn't breed him if he acts like a coward.. its just me, but some people don't mind that so i guess its up to you?

I agree with that. There was a thread recently going on about how a roo's behavior may have been acquired from their parents. And I have the proof to that right in my own yard. Mean, angry father, meaner, angrier son. I tried to handle both with care as chicks however they seemed to have other plans...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by