Skunk around

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Terry, May 8, 2009.

1. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    Oh boy had a skunk around the house around 5:50am I smelled it.
    Hubby must of spooked it when he opened the door to leave for work. I rushed to get a flash light to check all the coops in a panic!
    Thank God all was well big SHEW!
    Adding to my long list of predators...[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've found that skunks will go after baby chicks, but they really love to get eggs under broodies.

3. Terry

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    geeze I have both right now 2
    last week it was another snake "sigh"

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    An adult skunk can be a killing machine. They have no problem taking down an adult chicken, though they will opt for the easy way if given a choice. Easy being chicks or eggs. I trap 10 to 20 a year here which never sees to diminish the next years breeding stock. Fortunately they are not very bright so are not difficult to trap.

Jim

5. Terry

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    OMG!!!!!
    Ty for that bit of info. YIKES!!!

6. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    So how do you handle a skunk after you've trapped it? I'd be afraid to be sprayed. I've seen them in my yard so I'm expecting some kind of visit now that I have chickens.

7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I trapped one once, in my barn, when I was trying to trap a coon. I was totally unprepared, and couldn't figure out how to get it out of the barn without him spraying. I ended up throwing an old sheet over the cage so he couldn't see me. Then I tied a rope to the corner of the cage and dragged it out into the yard. I pulled off the sheet with a long pole, got about 20 yards away with my rifle, and shot him. He never did spray.

I'd be interested in hearing how more experienced people trap and dispose of skunks.

8. Terry

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    [​IMG]

9. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Quote:I use pretty much the exact method you describe, but I have a permanent hole dug big enough to hold the trap. Then fill the hole with a hose whenever needed. Then I just drag the trap to the waterhole and slide it off into the water. Give them plenty of time or the little stinker will revive and give you a double surprise. I have a board permanently affixed to the bottom of my skunk trap so they can't see down if for some reason I needed to pick the trap up, and keeps them from putting a foot through the wire and getting it pinched while being dragged. that will cause them to spray.

Jim

10. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    I have several (6+???) skunks living under my deck. I have trapped 2 so far and do pretty much what has been suggested. I put a sheet over the trap to begin with and then when I see the trap is tripped, I peek in to make sure it is a skunk (because I've also caught a fox, 3 opossum, and raccoons while trying to get these skunks) and then load it into my truck to take it to its new home.

I just open the cage and they go running out, they;re not interested in taking the time to spray you, they just want to get away. It's worked great so far.

I've heard that you need to be really careful if you shoot them because they will often "release" when they get shot. But like I said before, I've chosen to relocate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by