Skunk attack! Head injury. Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GrannyMann, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GrannyMann

GrannyMann New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    The skunk lost half his head! Mad Granny! Had to put one hen down. Another is not acting well. Scared, understandable. Not interested in food, ok, but only for a little while (I hope)...
    The problem is her head. She has dried blood on the back of her head and a pea-sized injury between the eye and ear. It is also crusted with blood. There are no problems with handling her, I just want to find out if I should clean the area to see the injuries, or leave her be to see if she perks up. The other girls aren't bothering her, so I will let her stay with them, unless the situation changes. Scrambled eggs are on todays menu, with a little scratch mixed in.
    Is rabies a concern?
    Do I clean her up to see, and apply neosporin?
    It is chilly today,(below 40* at the moment), should she be in the 'hospital' (playpen with heat lamp in garage)?
    Thanks in advance! This is my first question/problem I have not been able to make up my mind on after reading all relative posts. We've had our girls for a year and a half now! Appreciate this website and all the wonderful advice!

2. GrannyMann

GrannyMann New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Oh, and the hatch door will be installed before bedtime!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    An injured chicken should be given a warm area to recover.
    How long has it been?
    It's best to flush the wounds with saline. Then some betadine. then the eye type triple antibiotic since it liquefies at body temperature and will work its way down into the wound.
    An antibiotic injected subcutaneously is recommended as well.

4. GrannyMann

GrannyMann New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Chicken Canoe! Will get to it.

5. GrannyMann

GrannyMann New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    And it happened about 1am this morning.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well since it just happened, you could use hydrogen peroxide instead of the betadine today. After the first day switch to betadine as HP will kill new cells.
    This treatment should be twice a day for a few days till you see true healing.

7. GrannyMann

GrannyMann New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Wanted to give an update and raves about Vetricyn... Flora Fettucinni is improving daily!
    She is still in the hospital, but thinking of a trial run with her sisters Dora Dumplin' and Cora Cacciatore tomorrow if it warms up. Found two deep punctures behind the comb, and the wound in the ear area ended up a small gash. No swelling, no infection!She has only missed one day (2nd) laying eggs!
    And.... This Vetricyn Wound Care Spray is great! Read about it here on BYC, but my RN daughter gave the best reviews... She has patients that have used it on their own wounds ( their ideas, not hers), and they won't use anything else! The bottle does say not for human use so use at your own risk. It's a bit pricey, but works! No aggravating wounds by rubbing ointments on, and really gets under the feathers easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by