Skunk Beheading Our Hens

A live trap and a shotgun will work better than ammonia and pepper...
Be sure to tie a long rope to your trap before setting it, so, after you catch the skunk, you can drag it to a place where when you shoot it, the smell won't bother you as much. Like, don't snuff the skunk right outside your kitchen door.

One of those things you learn by doing and wish you hadn't.

Meaning no offense, but why do you say that? The head is removed cleanly, right at the shoulder.

Owls will eat it back like that as well. Does birds look all slobbered with damage away from head / neck area or does the balance of the carcass look largely intact?

I would wait out for your little buddy and determine what it is visually. Both skunk and owl are pretty consistent in their routes.

Intact. Just the missing head.

That is most consistent with owl. Can you make so ruckus is easily heard at night?

Make assumption I am wrong and go anti-skunk route but be prepared for owl so your butt is covered either way. My chickens when pressured by owl fluff up and hold heads stretched down 45 degrees from vertical. Owl gets chickens to bail from roost and does actual catch and killing on ground. Either predator is going to have the whole flock making a lot of racket.

The radio trick does not work all the time. Occasionally wildlife will even hunt with you present. Talk radio is generally quite offensive but some wildlife are probably members of the Tea Party so probably get incited into action by such.

Back
Top Bottom