Skunk! Can chickens get rabies?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mackenziesmomma, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    For the past month something has been getting in our coop getting eggs. We tried everything to secure the coop but it kept getting in. Last week, it went after one of my chickens. She survived but its missing lots of feathers and has a bald neck. [​IMG]

We finally caught it in a trap and animal control came and picked it up today. Hopefully my chickens won't have anymore visits from preds.

I know skunks can carry rabies. Can a chicken get rabies if bit by an infected skunk?

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this is deadly serious and I really want to know the answer too but somehow the idea of a chicken foaming at the mouth strikes me as hilariously funny. I need more sleep....

3. mackenziesmomma

Jun 7, 2008
    lol... [​IMG]

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    No, only mammals can get rabies. However, your chicken can die from an infection from a bite wound. Does she have any? Have you been able to determine how it was getting in? Until you fix that, there's a good chance you'll get more unwanted visitors.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you handled anything with skunk saliva on it you may need to have rabies vaccine. Please call your local health department. Several people here have recently had to undergo treatments for contact with the saliva of skunks.

6. mackenziesmomma

Jun 7, 2008
    Thank God we didn't touch anything with *skunk* on it!

We trapped it in a trap that shuts when the animal steps on the lever thing inside it. From there, we called animal control. They had a stick with a shot on the end...he snuck up and put it through the cage and injected the skunk. It was very quick. From there, he opened the cage and put a catch stick around its neck and lifted it out and put it in the back of his truck in something.

As far as getting in- oh my gosh...

our coop is wood and the smallest hardware cloth I could find.

there is an electric fence wire around the bottom

outside the coop is lined 3 feet out with paver like bricks

we kept our German Shepard in a crate next to the coop

That skunk was not afraid of the dog and could burrow over 3 ft! Apparently, he didn't mind getting a little jolt either (I personally think he would ground the fence).

I am going to bring in more dirt and pack it- then put the pavers back on. The dirt is really loose now because of it.

Ugh...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  7. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Why not let the shepherd sleep in the barn with the chickens to protect them? Obviously that skunk cased your place for quite a while for him to know that the dog was locked up and no threat. Sherherds are supposed to be bred to protect so why not give him a chance after you make sure he won't chase the birds.

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:Spephards were raised for sheep herding. While there are those that have been able to train their shephards to guard their herd, their natural instincts are more of the chase variety. It could be a big risk leaving the dog in with the chickens. There is a member who successfully has shephards as livestock guards (I think it's Ruth?), you may want to pm her.

9. mackenziesmomma

Jun 7, 2008
    we have coyotes in the area that jumped a dog down the road so I am afraid of her getting hurt.

10. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I used to breed Shepherds for many years and unless she is a puppy or a geriatric, I would put my faith in your Shepherd over coyotes. I have heard of coyotes taking out an elderly rotti around here years ago, but being elderly, I doubt it had a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by