Skunk Here

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OldGuy43, Feb 2, 2013.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

As always, while making coffee this morning I looked out and saw that the flock seemed a bit upset. Wasn't 'til I went out to feed, water and collect eggs that I discovered why. A skunk had discovered the electric fence and he weren't happy! Smelly, but no stock lost. [​IMG]

2. grandpaw roo

grandpaw roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    Got rid of lots of skunks over the years.(Over 20)Never got sprayed.Catch them in a wire trap.Be sure to put plywood under trap as they will pull every piece of dirt inside the trap.Walk up to the trap with a sheet in front of you.Cover the trap.I put them in the back of my truck to a local farmer that lets me dispatch there.
    [​IMG]

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I really don't object to their presence since they eat rodents and insects. I just don't want them eating my livestock.

misspelled presence

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oh my goodness we remove skunks the same way and have never been sprayed either.
    They really seem docile when it's done this way.
    I kind of enjoy them.
    I feed to fill up those tummys-makes them sleepy.
    Give them a little snooze time then release them.
    I also don't mind them being around as long as they don't bother anybody because they wipe out the rats mice etc.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We've a lot of skunks and I'd never had a problem with one until this year. They were content to only eat the feed now and then but this year a large male took out my prize hen and later was squaring off on my rooster before I used a hatchet to literally push it out of the run before running back inside to get my gun. The rooster only had wattle and minor neck injury but was a shame to lose the hen. Now I take skunk presence seriously.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I used to see lots of skunks around my area but not so many any more - unsure why. Maybe the dogs keep them them chased off. I know they still show up as I see small shallow holes dug in the yard - looking for worms I suppose. Never had them bother the chickens.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Skunks do not cause me trouble with chickens except taking eggs not laid in proper place, but like armidillos put holes where I do not want them. Sadly, they do sometimes get dispatched, and last time I was way to close when dog did it. Darn dog seems to get high off skunk stink.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by