1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skunk in the coop HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kelliepulido, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I smell skunk in my coop.I thought the smell was coming from the road,cleaned the whole coop,aired it all out looked around on the road,went back this afternoon and the coop still smells and it doesn't smell outside at all.I wonder if that is what killed my chicks a few weeks back.Most of them were killed in the dark,some were eaten others just dead,some legs here and there.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Anybody know if chickens can smell?They have not been going in the coop only at night to sleep is it because it smells of skunk?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Or, they aren't going into the coop at night because they were scared when the others were killed. I have no idea how well they can smell. There are things you can buy to help neutralize the odor.

4. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Silver Scent. It is a spray used by hunters to eliminate odors. I got mine at Scheels. Worked great on the dog that got sprayed by the skunk. Sprayed him (no bath) and 2 hours later I couldn't smell the skunk at all. You could spray it around your coop. If it is a skunk, it will keep coming back. Time to go hunting.

5. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    they were going in during the day after the kill but now since it smells and the skunk must have came back looking for more babies and left his scent they are not going in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by