1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skunk Injured Roos Head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rechellef, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I have been in pursuit of a predator for the past couple of nights, but finally caught the sucker in the coop with my Silkie Roo Elvis on his dinner plate. There was little I could do except shoo the skunk out with my flash light and scoop up poor Elvis. He was shaking and obviously terrified, so I put him in a large animal carrier with some food and water and then into a locked shed. His head was bloodied, but everything else was intact and his injuries seem fairly superficial all things considered. I checked on him tonight and other than blood on his head and hiding in the corner of the carrier, he seemed okay. However, what can I wash his injuries off with and should I be concerned about rabies?

2. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    I had the same thing happen to my roo, his comb was torn off. This is what I did we cleaned him up with wet paper towels. I also put bagblam you can find it in walmart or feed store twice a day, next we started him on meds for infection. We keep him warm and away from all the others until his wounds wore healed. The good news is that today he's a healthy boy w his own group of girls:)

Hope this helps;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by