Skunk & My Brave dog's Misery PEEEEEEEEEEEEEW !

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheepchicks, Jul 13, 2007.

1. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    So I posted about a skunk getting two of my little silkies and 1 little frizzle. I also said we thought we had probably shot the stinker (pun intended). But the neighbor lost all the little barred rocks I gave him to a skunk ! He managed to trap and kill it. Apparently though he didn't get all of them. My poor brave dog went after a skunk this morning. I think the skunk got the best of him. He smells sooooo bad and I am washing and washing him. Much to his chagrin.

I am gonna get a pair of goats cause as much as I fear them. The skunk is much worse

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, that's terrible. Try white vinegar....you need something that cuts through grease, skunk spray is very oily, that's why it's so hard to get rid of. Unfortunately we had this experience before with our GSD we used to have and the white vinegar worked really well.

Get little de-horned goats, like pygmies or Nigerians, you'll be amazed at how little (and sweet) they are. My 2 yr old daughter with 1 week old Jack. [​IMG]
    And then at 5 weeks..
    [​IMG]
    Now that doesn't look scary, does it?? [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    last month our yellow lab was shot in the face by a skunk. and fresh skunk smell dont smell like roses let me tell you!

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Walmart carries some stuff that will take away skunk smell. i don't know name but friends of mine use it and it does work.

5. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I'm a pet groomer by trade. I get skunk cases in all the time. Best thing to do is not get the dog wet!!!!! If the dog gets wet the pours in the skin open up and the smell gets into the skin. That's why every time it rains you will smell it again.

I use a product called Skunk Off. You can get it in any pet shop. Use it directly on the dog, this will get the dog wet of course but the solution is what is going into the skin not the skunk smell. You'll need to let that stuff sit on for as long as you can. Then do it again without rincing the original application. Once the dog is wet again from the solution use a shampoo then rince it all off. If done right you will not smell it again when it rains.

I have a home made solution made with baking soda, dish soap and peroxide, but the measurements are at work. I'll call tomarrow and that info and make sure you all get it. I'll post it in the recipie section of BYC. It works just as well, and Myth Busters on Discovery Channel tested it and it worked the best out of all the solutions they tried.

If you already got your dog wet....sorry it won't work. You have to use it first before anything else. All you can do now is mask it with dog colone.

6. cheepchicks

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Thank you all for your posts.

About the goats they are very cute ! Gives me courage.

I thank you for your posts about how to remove the odor. I already had him wet but will keep them in mind for the next time. (Poor Guy he was miserable). I tried a mixture of laundry detergent and Febreeze. I then rewashed him with baby shampoo.

Live and learn huh? at least this time it was not at the expense of my chickies lives. Just a little stink !

Kim

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This was in our local newspaper a few months ago. I keep it on my fridge...just in case.

As reported in the Chicago Tribune several years ago, a chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered what turns out to be the the best hands-down solution for eliminateing odor on dogs who have been SKUNKED.
    The ingredients are cheap and can be found in any grocery store, and they can NOT be mixed in advance because the container you seal them in will explode from the pressure of the chemical reaction. So....here's the formula

Take one quart of 3 % hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup of bakeing soda
    1 teaspoon of liquid soap, such as Ivory.

Mix and IMMEDIATELY apply to the stinky pet.
    Rinse thoroughly with water.
    For a larger dog..like labs..you will want to double the recipe. Common sense dictates keeping the mix out of sensitive areas like eyes and ears.
    Obvoiusly you wont want to run to the store when you have a "stinky dog" so buy the ingredients now, and keep them on hand. But remember...DO NOT MIX THEM untill SECONDS before application.

Luckily I have not had to try this...but our local paper SWEARS by it. Hope this helps someone!

8. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    ^^^ Justusnak I'm pretty sure that's the same recipie I have at work that I mentioned above. I'll check today..but it does sound like it. [​IMG]

9. cheepchicks

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Well he does smell better today. My couch and chair though went out the front door. No great loss I wanted a new one anyway. But the chair was Joe's chair and he is lost w/o it.

Thanks for the recipe I will make sure i have those things from now on !

Kim

10. dadingwall

dadingwall Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2007
    When I worked for a vet in Austin, TX we used Gain laundry powder. It has little green and blue specks of enzymes in it. You need to mix the powder with water until fairly dissolved.

The old traditional tomato juice thing is an attempt to apply an acid to an alkanine or vice versa.
    Good luck![​IMG]
    DeAnne
    Saving the world one egg at a time.
    http://threechickenfarm.blogspot.com [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by