Skunk question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PippyChicken, Jul 24, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Tonight I went to the chicken coop and smelled skunk spray. Are they a harm to my chickens?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes. At the very least, they are egg eaters. But they also kill chickens when they can.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes, skunks will kill chickens...

4. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Oh no! That's not good.. How good are they at tearing through chicken wire?

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Chicken wire, in my mind, is pretty useless. All it does is keep chickens in, it does NOT keep predators out! As far as I've learned with skunks, they don't have the tenacity of say, a racoon. In otherwords, if the food source is too much of a bother to get to, they will go elsewhere. A coon, on the other hand, will stay until he figures out how to get in! Get much better fencing and you won't have to worry! Even a strand or two of electric fence will help.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Agree. Skunks are not highly motivated, but other predators are. Consider this a pretest that your coop and run failed. To pass the real test you need to improve your fencing. Hardware cloth is expensive, but worth its weight in gold.

Good luck.

7. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I just looked at my building supply invoice. I bought 100 feet of 1/2" x 48" tall hardware cloth @ $1.75/ft. = $175.00 That was just the hardware cloth! I also bought three 50 foot rolls of 2"x4"x4' tall welded wire, for $110.97. That will do the top part of the sides and make a roof. The hardware cloth on the bottom won't let little racoon hands through to grab a chicken and wrestle it out from the chicken run! I am then, just as an extra precaution, running an apron of wire abour 3' wide, covered in gravel, and also put a strand or two of electric fence around the outside of the whole thing! The chicken coop will be totally inside the fenced area. Skunk, coons, possums, or dogs had better come with bolt cutters if they want my chooks! [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:[​IMG] Sounds like Fort Knox [​IMG]

9. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Let's hope! [​IMG] Now, if a bear or that big cat I had awhile back shows up, I may have to run some higher up electric fencing too! [​IMG]

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:did you smell it inside the coop or just around it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by