Skunk removal

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bookworm chick, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Went out to check the trap this morning, lifted up the corner of the tarp and there the little bugger was. This is the second time a skunk has went into our trap. The first time my husband released him (on our property) with no problem at all.
    I was wondering what those "wildlife removal" fellows charge because I really don't want him hanging around here now that we have the chickens (even though we shut them up every night). So, I called one in our area and his fee is $125. He must have sensed my hesitation to put out that much money so he told me how he does it. He said to then take him at least 12 miles away and release him. I'd thought it might be against the law to relocate, but he said no and even suggested a place.
    This is going to be an experiment for my husband to try if he's willing. I'm hoping it will work. Wish us luck.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Keep the trap covered and move slowly. Good luck.

3. Gonzo_MN

Gonzo_MN Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Plymouth, MN USA
    I've yet to approach a live trapped skunk without them spraying. I know enough to stay back a ways so I don't get hit, but it still reeks.
    I've had the most luck using a two person system. One approaches first, getting the skunks attention. While the skunk is paying attention to the first person (hopefully with their tail up pointed at person one), person two has an old towel or blanket that they throw over the trap.
    Wear old clothes, gloves, and keep a particle mask or kerchief handy to help filter the smell if needed. Hopefully you have a pick up truck you can transport the cage in. I have a truck with a topper, and although it smells, it airs out pretty quickly once all the stinky stuff is removed and all the windows and tailgate are opened on a windy day.

BTW - if the skunk sprayed soon after being trapped, you may get lucky and they're low or out of additional spray when you go to relocate.

Good Luck!

4. Bookworm chick

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    The trap already has a tarp over it. I went out earlier today quietly approached him and tried to lift the trap, but it was too heavy for me. The skunk has been digging and there's a lot of dirt making it heavy. He didn't spray when I tried to lift it. The plan is to take our pickup truck back to the trap, slowly lift the covered trap (hubby will have to do the lifting) into the pickup, shut the tailgate as quietly as possible, get in the truck (don't slam the doors) and carefully relocate him.
    I'll let you know how we make out.

5. Bookworm chick

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Our plan didn't work out so well. There was so much dirt inside the trap that it looked like it had been rototilled. Hubby couldn't lift it either. We let it loose. Didn't get sprayed, thankfully. We'll revise the plan. This time we'll set the trap on a base of some kind that the skunk can't dig through. I have no doubt that it will go into the trap again.

6. tonio

tonio New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Edited to remove flames. From the rules:

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
    3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
    4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
    5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Edited to remove moderated material
    Whoa, tonio! You might want to read the forum guidelines before you post again . . . IF the mods let you post again, that is.

This forum is for education. Berating other members you disagree with only poisons this forum and prevents people from asking questions and learning.

There are many ways to help others learn.

8. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Tonio, Tonio, Tonio..... please tone it down, Tonio!

Sometimes it will take losing eggs or birds for people to figure out what needs to be done, and they must do it on their own. It would have been much kinder to recommend something helpful than to be a fool. Your way may not be the right way for Bookworm; she has to live with what is done on her property, live with her husband, and her neighbors. We are here to help people, not hurt people. There is no need to treat people with cruelty or in a condescending manner as you have. Your angry post is quite shameful. [​IMG]

My personal choice would have been to provide a nice quick SSS for a cute little trespasser who will now surely return and be destructive. However, some people have a need to deal with things in a different way, and this may not have been an option for Bookworm.

I suggest an apology to Bookworm Chick would be in order, Tonio.

9. tonio

tonio New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Quote:

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    please use the report button instead, thanks