Skunk took my EE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LizGled628, Oct 25, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I let my pullets free range during the day, then i lock them up at dusk. I lost track of time last night, and forgot to close the door. A short while later, my dog started going crazy and ran outside. I followed, and watched a skunk run out of my coop with an EE in it's mouth. My dog was ready to attack, so the skunk sprayed her...and my cat (who thinks she is a chicken guard). The other five babies were asleep on their roost, completely undisturbed. There were a lot of feathers but no blood.

I knew skunks liked chicken eggs, but my babies aren't laying yet (22 weeks!). I never thought they would actually take a whole chicken...I feel terrible. Is this common? Do you think it would be advisable to call animal control and trap the skunk? This is the second time my dog has been sprayed in the last 2 months.

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Just lost 4 silkies to a skunk a couple weeks ago. We had animal control trap it. Left the trap out for the weekend and caught 3 more trying to get into the pen.
    I'd call AC and have them trap and deal with it.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Skunks kill chickens.

There is a rather long list of animals in the same general family that skunks are in that kill chickens, some are more likely than a skunk to kill your chickens but you should not take any chances with any skunk leaving your birds alone.

Skunks, mink (ermine), weasels (there are three kinds in the US), badgers, wolverine, ..... kill chickens as well as other small animals.

Oh and if it smells like a skunk has been around, it could be any of the above or even an old male raccoon that has had many run in with skunks.

4. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    You know, I didn't even think about it being another animal that was sprayed by a skunk....very smart! This was most definitely a skunk, as evidenced by the spraying and black and white tail, but next time I smell one nearby I will consider the options.

I generally don't take any chances. Heck, my DH says I practically babysit them when they are free ranging...who knows if a neighbors dog could get lose and attack? Or if a hawk is flying nearby? But this was 100% my fault. I completely forgot to close the door. This is my first, and hopefully last, loss to a predator.

Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by