Skunk!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PoultryPotts, Oct 10, 2009.

1. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    Earlyier today I was invited to a friends house for supper. So I went to put the chickens but I couldn't get two of them in. One was a austorplorp pullet the other a bufforpington hen. I was so worried because my dogs are chicken eaters. So when I got home this evening I went straight to the chicklen house. When I got to the chicken house I saw a sunk run under it. Just last weeked I shot a skunk while hunting. My father yelled at me for it. I was worried because my dad said skunks while kill chickens at any chance they get. I found the pullet 3feet away under a rose bush it was completely unharmed. I am really worried about the hen tomrough I am going to set traps and set my gun by the door. Is there any thing else I can do. Any sugestions will be very helpfull. And hope for the best that I will find the hen tomrough in a tree.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Be careful and don't get sprayed. [​IMG]
    Hope you find your hen safe & sound.

Imp

3. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    I found her this morning under a honeysuckle vine. thanks for your sympythy.

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I just asked this question about ridding my own coop area of a skunk. There was a reply from another member who said a skunk ate several of her chickens. Mine have not been harmed but now I want to trap the sucker and get him out of my yard. Someone said to lay a dark blanket over the cage with a slot for the handle and if the skunk doesn't see you it won't spray. They said they do this every time and never have been sprayed. Hope it helps.

5. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I would also add that trapping,covering are good and it is NOT necessary to kill em. I have been doing this for 7 years and have trapped many creatures(cats get neutered, wild animals get a spray paint job(to see if they repeat) and turned loose and I have NEVER had issues with predators. I live on 6 acres with appx. 60 acres surrounding, mostly wooded, and feel that PREVENTION is the key so the wild animals don't get the idea its a free meal(altho coons clean up the bait every time they don't like screaming from me) I also trap my chickens but they just get turned loose and are happy to of had some cat food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by