skunk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gregorylm, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gregorylm

Gregorylm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Rome Ga
    Just had a skunk kill two marans pulletts and two silkie hens now i have only one silkie
    roo . I sure hope no more skunks come back MAN do they stink {dead Skunk }
    What will keep skunks away ? I also thought opossums and racoons were bad
    they kill but at least they dont stink so bad

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm so sorry. Do you have a dog?

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry... seems like all of the predators are really hungry this time of year.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If they've been there, they have found an easy food source, & will most likely be back. [​IMG] Best bet..... Coop Fort Knox. [​IMG] If that's not possible, try a radio on a talk station, live traps, Nite Guard lights, electric fence, or shotgun. [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Grim

Grim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    if you want to be able to breath don't use a shotgun, if you shoot him he's going to spray. most live traps won't set them off. just remember if you trap him, you will have to treat him like an un-exploded grenade, they can be reeeeeeeely twitchy when you try to relocate them. use a full length body shield or a SOLID plastic tarp (as opposed to those that are heavy weaved don't want that stink on you.) try to cover your whole body or at least whats pointed at the trap.

best bet is to get him to decide to leave on his own. lights sound or smell deterrent or fort chick.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I agree, don't shoot it, unless you have to. But.... Skunk smell is better than Skunk. Do what you have to do to get rid of it.

7. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    they make live traps just for skunks. e-bay has many of them. sardines or eggs are a good bait.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The thing about live-trapping an animal is, you have to be prepared to dispose of (kill) it. Relocating is illegal in most (maybe all?) states. Even if it weren't illegal, you have to consider the risks you're taking in spreading diseases like rabies and distemper. Here in MN, skunks are one of the major carriers of rabies. In the Eastern states, raccoons are more likely to carry rabies. Even if the animal is not rabid, it's being taken to another animal's territory where it will have to fight, it won't know where to find food and water, and if you don't take it far enough away it will show back up at your place in no time. You did mention killing the one that got into your coop. Good for you for doing the most responsible thing. Even though it is stinky.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've had more problems with skunks than any other animal. I've already caught and killed 4 this month. I have gotten good at it. [​IMG] Don't mind the smell, sometimes they spray, sometimes they don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by