skunk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ericwaddle3, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Caught the varmit that took my drake duck, today in my live trap was a skunk. Any ideas how to dispose of it without causing a big smell?

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Throw a tarp over the cage, back up to it with the car or truck, and kill it with the exhaust fumes. It works just make sure you let it run long enough not to just stun it or it will wake up while you're moving it. [​IMG]

3. afeatherfan

afeatherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    wv
    This is how I have did mine over the past and this spring , very easy put a coat towel ect over it in the cage and haul it off very easy take it and prop the door open with a stick open the door and run a stick strait threw it , not up and down , and it will wonder off .. wa la no spray.If ya shoot it , it will spray trust me!!

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    As it happens, after I answered this post, I found one of my guineas with its head gone. We baited the trap with a jelly sandwich so the barn cats wouldn't get stuck in there. Just checked it before going to bed and found a skunk in it so I guess we'll be doing the same tomorrow. [​IMG]

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:AWW, so sorry!
    LOVE your ICON

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    If you think you might get another one, tie a rope to the corner of your trap. Clothes line will work, just make sure it is about 20 feet long. Then you can drag the trap away from everything and shoot the skunk.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:....and become someone else's problem or spread rabies to the skunks in the area where you released it....

8. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    There is so many skunks around here.

9. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    We have had a HUGE problem with skunks for the last few years. We started picking up food bowls at night, but the birds are messy eaters and the skunks eat what was dropped on the ground. This "stinker" came in at dusk when we were getting ready to pick up food bowls.
    As much as we hate skunks and as many as we have disposed of they have not killed any of our birds. They don't even seem interested in the birds, just the feed and of course the eggs.

They are in the weasel family and hope you got what killed your birds. We too at first thought it was skunks who killed our jungle fowl hens. But later found it to be raccoons. We also had two hens killed a few years ago by a possum.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by