SKUNK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am pretty sure these are skunk tracks, which are heading to our barn....[​IMG] We set the live trap. I'll post pics if we catch anything! (it might take a couple days, tho) Edit: I forgot the pics...LOL[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I hope you catch something if it's after dinner!

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Nuttin last night. But something was definately there. The cage had been thrown around. (as in something tried to get the food without going in)

4. OnceAroundTheBlock

OnceAroundTheBlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    My son-in-law and daughter have about 15 chickens that are locked up in their coop at night. Their outside dogs kept barking almost every night for a week so my SIL decided to put out a humane trap and try to capture whatever it was that was snooping around.

The next morning they had the little stinker [​IMG] in the trap....it was a skunk! Now what? He knew he couldn't put the trap in the back of his truck and take him up far up into the woods to set him free, he didn't even want to go anywhere near the trap for fear of getting sprayed...ha ha.

So, between him and my grandson, they were finally able to get the door open to let him leave on his own accord.

Their dogs are still barking at night....[​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks like a coon track, not saying ya don't have both there heck there are all kinds of critters lurking around at night that you will never know about unless you have a trail cam set up.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have always wanted a pet skunk. I wish it was possible for me to come and pick up the skunk when you catch it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Your welcome to have it......if you can get it out without being sprayed!

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    WE CAUGHT!!!!! a cat.....whoops....[​IMG]

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
  10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Both will look very similar, but I was thinking coon too. I say that because you said the trap was thrown around while the animal tried to get the bait. that sounds more like a coon to me. They can get their paws through the holes in those live traps and clean out an enitre can of cat food. Had it happen a bunch of times. Try putting your trap back out, but this time put something on tope to weight it down and also put things (I use logs) around the outside to stop them from being able to get through the bars to your bait. If I am right and it's a coon try some marshmallows int he trap. It should keep you from catching another cat, they don't like sweet stuff.

I caught a skunk yesterday.....that was an interesting adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by