1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skunk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WatchYourStep, Apr 8, 2012.

1. WatchYourStep

WatchYourStep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    We found the head of one of our chickens, it looked like someone had cut it's head off. There was no blood, but there were some feathers and intestines away from the head. You can smell skunk outside, and on our cat. We're guessing a skunk ate the chicken, and our cat some how got tangled up in the fight. How do we get rid of skunks?

2. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    bait a live trap with eggs and or egg shells. If you do not catch it try some cat food, but you might just catch your cat!

When you catch it, take a heavy blanket and throw over the trap. Then pic up the whole trap and put it into a pond, creek, or 55 gal drum filled with water and leave it for atleast 1/2 a day!

3. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    You want me to drown the animal! I would have just taken it to some far away forest, but it would just come bace right? Also a friend said it might be a hawk, is there anything you can do to get rid of hawks?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep they will come back or die from other territorial skunks in the area. I agree with Mazojoe, throw them in the creek. I know its awful but better than getting sprayed at or shoot the darn thing in the trap and how are you going to get it out when it stinks high heaven...it might spray on you. Who knows!

I've always shot them. End of answer and end of problem for THAT skunk.

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    you can take the skunk wherever you like once it is trapped just let it go far away it wont come back, but if your bird was roosting off the ground the skunk didnt kill it

Great horned owls smell like skunk because they eat them so much and they have no scent glands also they kill by cutting off the head i have a feeling that might be the animal kllling your birds. Are you sure your cat was sprayed? i have a feeling your cat rolled around in the remains or rubbed on them. If your cat was sprayed by a skunk you would have to get it a bath.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012

Our cat does like to roll around in laundry,sand etc. so that might be what happened. He doesn't smell anymore, we cleaned him up.

Do Great Horned owls attack during the day? It was still light out when we found the remains.

7. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    if it was light out then yeah it was probably an owl a skunk cant take a chicken during the day they are slow they are more scavengers they would have to eat the chicken at night on the ground while the chicken was asleep or else the skunk has no chance they arent real predators they lack the predator skill of a fox or bobcat that can just pounce catch kill

owls dont usually hunt at light but maybe it has a nest or is desperate because it saw your chickens while roosting

but owls really smell like skunk because they get sprayed so much since skunks are one of their fave foods along with hawks minks etc...

if it is an owl though and your birds are locked up at night i think you might not have a problem it is probably just a one time thing. It was sitting in a tree saw the chicken and got desperate woke up and took it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  8. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    It no longer smells like skunk, does that mean the owl is gone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by