skunk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bluebirdfarm, Jul 16, 2008.

1. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

last pm , i was just relaxing after dinner and i forgot to close up the hen house so i ran down quickly to do just that .You see it was DARK already !! yikes !
    :thun
    I hurried to the hen house and got the girls in and as i was turing to leave i saw the evil lurking skunk , it was just a meer 50-75 feet away . It was a small one and did not spray , it went away as i left to get the "varmit " gun, and of course it was gone when i returned.
    darn it ####****
    now i have to beef up security >
    moral of this ....................
    do not forget to close the hen house.

has anyone here ver used the auto door openers???
    just FYI
    [​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Wow!! I had the same event last night. I waited a bit longer than normal to close the coop door and when I went out chickens were squawking and skunkie was inside the coop looking out at me!! I prayed I wasn't going to get sprayed, ran to the back of the house and made a lot of noise. I guess he left, cuz I peaked in a few minutes later (cautiously) and no skunk. He went in to eat eggs I'm sure. If you close the door before dark, the skunks aren't up yet.

3. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

o chickenannie , that is way too coincidental!!!!
    i may try to lve trap him her tonight , i was worried about being sprayed , but i just read that if you cover up the trap while the skunk is sleeping , they might not spray ?
    of course i could always get Dh to shoot , but then it would prob spray for sure ?
    anyway that must have been scary if the skunbk was IN the hen house , i guess they like eggs , mine are not laying yet .i do not trust the veil skunk and will kill it at first chance now , tonight maybe !

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck! I am a city girl living in the country and I don't know how to deal with traps and such. I will just let skunkie live, but will close the henhouse earlier. Afterall it's been 3 years of us all living together and this is only the 2nd time I've seen him. I think he doesn't want to be around humans.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My one dog got sprayed the other night at 11:30. I had let them out for their night time potty break at 11, and they didn't come back until 11:30, one of them got sprayed.

So dh and I made up the skunk spray concoction and had to give the dog a bath. i was soo tired, i just wanted to goto bed, and leave it for themorning. But then I thought of that smell in the garage all night. I haven't had any concerns about skunks near my henhouse though.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Our dogs used to get sprayed every couple of months...(hunting dogs). Wash them in tomato juice to get rid of the smell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by