skunked

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bucky1198, Jun 26, 2011.

1. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    so 4 nights ago something got into my chicken house and ate 20 chicks that were about 4 weeks old after looking all day i found the spot fixed it and set a live trap. for the last two nights nothing in the live trap and i mean nothing bait gone and all on signs of something tring to get in. tonight about an hour before sundown i went out to close up the windows in the chicken house and all my older chicken were standing in a pack next to the fence as far way from the house as they could get i looked insidethe house and there was a skunk in the house looking for dinner. is this the same from 4 nights ago or do i got a bib problem? (this skunk no longer an issue)

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    The skunk could be your problem but I would be certain to run some traps for sometime.

Where there is one there are likely more.

3. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    The skunk could be your predator, but I'd put my money on something else being the culprit. I set a trap for raccoons last fall--dug hole, placed bait in hole, trap over hole and cinder block on top of trap. While I never caught a single raccoon (I know they are around, my Samoyed used to tree them regularly), I did catch a lot of skunks in it. Never had the bait just disappear. I will second the vote that if there is 1 skunk around, there are a lot more around.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep your traps set but play with the trigger and get it as sensitive as possible. Also cover the trigger if it's on the top as some are because a animal will crawl on top trying to reach the bait and set it off also be sure it is anchored well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by