SKUNKED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by enel 1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. enel 1

enel 1 Songster

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    It sucks when your fishing but it Really sucks when its your birds. I woke up this morning to a pile of dead birds. apparently a skunk dug under my meat bird tractor and killed 5 broilers and all of my project birds. I'm sure it was a skunk because the birds smelled like...well a skunk.I feel like some one stole from me,its pretty frustrating.So any ways I'm gonna set my trap and every thing I catch over the next few days dies! be it cat dog skunk coon or what ever.I feel like taking a page from "Glad the impaler's" book and stake the body's up around the place as warring to the others!

2. BillinPA

BillinPA In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Greencastle PA
    I know it sounds bad but if its a skunk drown it, anything else its going to spray everywhere.

3. enel 1

enel 1 Songster

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    That don't sound bad to me! what was bad is the stupid thing only ate part of one chicken and killed the rest out of pure excitement, seems like raccoons and weasels usually grab and go but skunks don't seem to do that they get all wound up like a dog and just have to jump on every thing.

4. chickenreferee

chickenreferee Chirping

Jun 2, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    I hate skunks almost as much as racoons. I feel your pain! Hope you get the little buggar SOON. Evil little varmits they are.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. littleoak

littleoak Chirping

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    I'm thinking you'll find a coon in your trap. I've been plagued by skunks for a few years and they usually only kill and eat one chicken. The other chickens may have died from the exitement if it was a skunk, but if they're torn up I think it's a coon.

6. enel 1

enel 1 Songster

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    nothin' yet

7. BillinPA

BillinPA In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Greencastle PA
    What kind of trap?

What you using for bait?

8. enel 1

enel 1 Songster

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    live trap I think I got it at TSC and im using raw eggs,my grandpa was a egg farmer in Graham WA. for many years and my dad told me that eggs would probably work best. I had a dead chicken in there a first. but nothin with eggs yet...although its been pretty stormy here the last few days.

9. mcjessen

mcjessen Songster

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    If you trap a skunk, whatever you do, don't shoot it in the head. It will release ALL of it's "stink" and you'll have an incredibly large stinky mess to clean up. Heard you're supposed to cover the trap with blanket, move the trap, release the skunk and then shoot it. Or shoot it in the trap in a location other than the head. Yuck! Good luck

10. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chirping

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I hate skunks! I have a large live trap set to try and catch a rotten fox, so far only got a skunk. Of course the dog found it first, and got sprayed. I covered the trap, and finally got it shot a few hours later. I did shoot it in the head, and it did not spray. I was glad for an instant kill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: