Skunks - Do they rip chickens through wire?

Skunks tend to be more optimistic predators--they generally prefer eggs and chicks but will take an adult bird if it is where they can get it but won't pursue. Coons, on the other hand, will go through doors, chicken wire, and any opening to get at the birds. They prefer the food in the crops and will take a chicken's head off to get at it.

Shoot it from a distance so it doesn't shoot you 1st. Skunks can't see well enough or have small enough paw/hands to do a reach thru wire type killing. It could've been a possium but more than likely a raccoon.

Argh! Can't believe you let it go once it was in the trap. They are thieves too.

If you decide to trap skunks again, if that is the culprit, put sardines in the traps. They can't resist them.

Connie

Yeah, I usually let them go too--they dig out yellow jacket nest and Japanese beetle grubs. Make a mess of the lawn but get rid of the pests. Won't bother chickens that are locked down for the night. Of course there is the problem of rabies but as long as the animal is acting normal there is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
I was hoping to get the raccoon that pulled the chickens through the wire. No problems with skunks around here. First time i've caught one in 3 summers with the live trap.

About a week ago we caught a skunk as well, and we also let it go. The thing usua;lly sticks to the back acres eating from our compost pile and has never bothered anything. I can't imagine a skunk would have ripped your chicken through the wire, must have been a coon. Good luck catching THAT bugger! Best to get rid of him ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom