Skunks!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dirtydozen, Dec 7, 2012.

1. dirtydozen

dirtydozen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last Friday night, the weather was warm and had the doors and windows open. At 8pm, I heard the chickens making a ruckus and went too investigate with flashlight and shotgun. Found three skunks in the pen. I dispatched three skunks. Saturday at 8pm again, I went out to check the pen. Two skunks in the pen this time. Have a total of five dead skunks now and I intend to put the skunks on the endangered list in my area

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, that's a lot of skunks. How did they get into the pen? You may want to shore things up because, if a skunk can get in, then other critters, like raccoons, can get in, too. Good luck! We had a whole family of skunks scooting around our yard this past summer. i called our Federal Trapper to catch and euthanize them. Too much of a fraidy cat to try to do it myself.

3. dirtydozen

dirtydozen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Near as I can tell, they squeezed in a 2 inch gap between the fence and the gate. They are just like rats. Had the same problem last year. I think November/December is an active month for them. I just make a regular check on the birds with shotgun and flashlight. The girls dont seem to mind the gunfire. Its like Dodge City back there

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We're not allowed to shoot off real guns here, only pellet guns. i'm always smelling skunk out back. i'm sure there are some living in the massive patch of ivy between our property and our neighbors. If they stay away, i'll leave them alone. If they decide to stage a break-in, it will be death-by-a-thousand-pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by