1. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im just excited. Put in a couple of sky lights in the coop so i wouldnt have to run a light out there. It is so much brighter out there. So if anyone ever considers this option id say go for it. [​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, we plan to do it too! Coop going on the shady side of an existing barn; Lots of trees too. We used a fiberglass type white colored roofing material on another barn and the amount of light is HUGE! SO we want to repeat it on the coop.

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We are doing a skylight too and I am hoping that it won't be too much light.

Our coop will be going in our front yard and that gets the morning sun, so won't be too hot but it sure is bright. We are going with the eggshell white corragated roofing, so I hope that it won't be too much light coming in.

4. ams4776

I just have a tan roof but before this the coop was always dark. Im debating on side windows cuz the winter snow will probably block the skylights. From what ive read light is always good unless broody

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Careful about factoring in your coop's location and the buildup of unwanted heat inside the coop in the summer. I tried a clear corrugated panel roof on our small coop but quickly replaced it. It just got way too hot inside the coop.

6. ams4776

The skylights are just plexyglass and my roof is tar paper (got it free woohoo) the coop itself sees alot of shade and im gonna e installing a vent next. But my people door always sits ajar and only leads to my shed so it also keeps the air flowing

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Y'all thinking about skylights should be really cautious. They all usually develop intractable leaks sooner or later -- exception being a transparent panel of plastic corrugated roofing amongst otherwise-opaque panels of same brand of plastic corrugated roofing. They tend to overheat the coop a lot more than people give credit for. They become condensation farms (->humidity->frostbite) in climates that get freezy winters. And you get almost the same amount of light without any of these disadvantages (well, still *somewhat* of the last one) by simply putting your transparent panel in the WALL not the roof.

Just sayin',

Pat

8. ams4776

These arent big and i open the windows in summer time. Winter it be good to help keep it warmed up. Though ill be putting in two more side clear windows soon

9. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Hi Pat, as long as the corrugated materials aren't CLEAR, shoudn't that be okay? We are using the egg-shell white, so there won't be too much light and the coop will be in our front yard where the sun would come up BEHIND it and our morning sun is not hot like the evening, even in the summer. Summer evenings is what I will worry about most, because they are pretty unconfortable most nights.

Our coop plans dont call for any vents other than what will be under the corrugated roofing, which doesn't look like a lot. I am thinking of putting in a small panel or two that can be propped open, wonder if this would help?

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well, you will have less heat-gain that way, but still some; whether it's a problem depends on your region and coop location and roof pitch and all of that. The remaining drawbacks of skylight panels that i listed still apply.

Our coop plans dont call for any vents other than what will be under the corrugated roofing, which doesn't look like a lot. I am thinking of putting in a small panel or two that can be propped open, wonder if this would help?

Panel in the wall? Yes yes yes, that is the kind of ventilation you need, big openings in the wall (covered with hardwarecloth, and ideally some sort of window or flap to close over 'em as weather may dictate). Just the spaces under roof corrugations is not remotely enough! (Unless maybe you have like a 12x20 shed with just three chickens in it [​IMG])

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by