SL Wyandotte with a single comb???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nwgirl, May 7, 2009.

1. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    It looks like my other 3 week old silver lace wyandotte, but this one appears to be growing a single comb. Is that possible, or could it be another breed?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here is a post I lifted off a thread here called "Wyandotte combs?"

Speckledhen is right, the single comb comes from there cochin ancestry, along with other breeds. Breeders keep a the single comb gene floating around to increase fertility. For some reason fertility is low in rose combed birds and this can be improved with the addition of single combs into the gene pool. Single combed wyandottes cannot be shown but they can still be considered normal and can be an advantageous addition to a wyandotte breeding flock as they can still produce rose combed offspring.

If you do a search here in Breeds, Genetics and Showing for SLW combs, you will find lots of discussion of this. I THINK the roos with single combs are more likely to be fertile. Mine are 11 weeks, rose combed, and I can see that I have roos and pullets; will be interesting to see how well they reproduce.

So, yes, it is probably a SLW.

1 person likes this.
  3. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No problem at all. It happened that I had recently read something about this and intended to research it a little, but hadn't yet, when I read your post. So....

That's what is so great about BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by