SL Wyandottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tbitt, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    These were BOTH to be sexed as pullets......

(Excuse my sweet black sex link - I could not leave her alone)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The one on the left is a cockerel and the one on the right is a pullet. Look how thick the left chicks legs are and how red his comb and wattles are compared to the one on the right. You have a pair for sure [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Ditto :D

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Keep in mind that sexing is an art, not a science. There's no 100% accuracy; most hatcheries only guarantee 80 or 90%. I don't have SLW, but you're right, that one chick definitely is making me think cockerel, with his thick legs (compared to the other) and bright comb/wattles coming in.
    I did have one EE chick though who I just KNEW was a cockerel - bright comb from about week 4 and thick legs - ended up growing into my favorite EE hen.

5. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I have been watching that grow and turn red for days now .... pretty much knowing she was a he. [​IMG]

I was holding out hope that there was a chance...... but having you both say what I am thinking makes me give up hope.

Strange enough he is the only one I gave a name to.... [​IMG] I've been calling him Beaker....after the muppet.

I am only keeping a small flock, that is why I bought him as a pullet, to avoid getting too many roos.... I hope it works out well...

6. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL

That would be nice..... Maybe Beaker is a "manly" kind of gal?! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by