Slacker Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MoliCoop, Dec 2, 2013.

1. MoliCoop

MoliCoop Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    So, I got my buff orpingtons as day old on May 6. They are now 30 weeks old. We got one (1) egg two weeks ago and nothing since. What gives? How do I get my lazy hens to lay some eggs. Do they usually go this long before they lay? That one little egg was so tasty I want more!!!

2. MoliCoop

May 17, 2013
    BTW - I have 5 BOs all the same age.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any stresses in your coop? Birds added or removed? Predator issues?

Any possibility the one laying could have a hiding spot?

It's possible that they are maturing slowly due to the less daylight. I have 37 week old barnevelders that have not started laying yet.

4. MoliCoop

May 17, 2013
    No stresses that I can think of. very secure coop and run. No predators at least I havent seen any evidence of them (digging or clawing). Not too many hiding spots to check. It is cold so we are doing the deep litter method, adding bedding every week and mixing it up, myabe they don't like the accumulation of litter?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like everything is fine then. Deep litter wouldn't be a problem. They are probably just taking a bit longer to mature. It's actually better on their bodies to lay later - early layers can have reproductive issues later in life.

What are you feeding them?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. MoliCoop

May 17, 2013
    Layer feed and we have oyster shell out for them. Fun and happy birds, just no eggs.. :(

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I once had June pullets wait to lay until April of the next year. Does sound like they are maturing slowly, what you've described seems fine as far as food and housing. You may want to put them back on Flockraiser or Chick Starter until they lay again; their bodies don't need the calcium in layer feed if they're not laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by