Slate Tuxedo Jap?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LyrebirdJacki, Dec 2, 2013.

1. LyrebirdJacki

LyrebirdJacki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My quail isn't quite adult yet so he is a little patchy and all my tux birds have grown out of that once they are fully grown. I would like to know what his colour mutation would be classified as. His mum is the tux in the second photo :)

He is kind of a grey brown or a dilute pattern that you see in the rosetta birds. Not sure if he would be a dilute tux or a grey one.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I can't help you on the color mutations. But I have to say that I just love the Tuxedos! Such cute birds!

3. LyrebirdJacki

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    I think they look like little penguins or gentlemen.

4. Ironsun10

Ironsun10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Cumbria UK
    Hi,

I must say this is really a nice "mutation"

I would say it would be called either a splash or mottled and should be bred from to hopefully produce more of this colour.

I would also say, the colour is the same as the mother, but having a good mixture of white feathers it looks lighter.

Do these birds go a lot darker like their mother? or do they retain some white feathers?

Ironsun.

5. LyrebirdJacki

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    This is the first one I've had that have gotten this big (if you pick favourites with the chicks they seem to always die unfortuently. I had about 4 chicks like this one that died about 2 weeks old and younger) so I don't know if it will darken. But the regular tuxedos I have gotten from that particular mother have all darkened and kinda look red. They also lost the white patches on their backs as adults which I hope this one does also. I have 2 more chicks hatched that look like this one did as a chick so they are happening, but I hope that I can breed from this one directly.

I think splash seems like the best discription for it. It's not quite a tuxedo really with the patchyness. I will post another picture once it is fully feathered as it is still a juvenile in this picture (took it yesterday).

6. curious penguin

curious penguin Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

hi lyrebird I just recently got one like that too have a look in the pic (if it uploaded im still getting use to my tablet lol ) I have one silver tux an one full silver :) first time ive ever seen them in that colour I thought they were button quail at first

7. LyrebirdJacki

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    Yours looks a whole lot neater than mine :) Mine is very patchy and yes, kinda do look like kings but your tux to the left gives them away as japs. I hope this colour becomes a recognised colour mutation, its pretty. I got 2 full silvers in the same hatch as the one I took a picture of above but I get them often, its just this one was a little....different.

8. curious penguin

May 12, 2013
    It does look different and reli cool i hope I get one I have a really good colour mix so I should have the right ingredients to make one lol ;)

9. Classroom Quail

Classroom Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    Did you breed that one? If so, what colors did you breed together? He's beautiful!

10. curious penguin

May 12, 2013
    I bought mine but I have just started breeding so cant wait to see what comes out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by