1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slaughter at MAD Ranch

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MadRanchTX, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MadRanchTX

MadRanchTX New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I got home 1/2 hour before sundown last night to find piles of feathers and feet scattered around outside the coop. No birds in the coop. I widened my circle finding 4 distinct sets of feathers. I have (had) 4 hens and 2 roos. When I made it back to the coop I found 1 hen huddled in the corner alive and scared to death. She seemed unmolested but very frightened. I'm hoping a second bird is in hiding and will turn back up today. I don't have a covered run, the coop sits inside a chain link fenced area about 50'x100'. This is my first year with chickens, they have been in this setup since the beginning of June without any problems. The coop is 8'x12' so my survivor will stay locked up when unsupervised until I can get a covered run built. My real problem is I have 1 chicken left. I need to get her some company to overwinter with. I have chicks ordered for April delivery. If anyone lives in or around Parker Counter, TX that can part with a bird or two please let me know. I'm not looking for a freebie or dinner my girl needs some company. I had blue and black Ameraucana but any breed would be OK. Thanks in advance.
    Mark

2. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    sorry to hear about your loss.. [​IMG]

At this time of the year.. and through the rest of winter..predators are hungry.. some of their normal prey have gone into hiding until warm weather returns.. your chickens are easy pickings.. unfortunately, they will keep coming back until they realize they are locked out with predator proofing..or there are no more chickens left. Good luck finding your survivor a friend or two... If I lived closer, I would bring you over a few.

Shelly

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Craigslist is a great source. HOWEVER, you need to look the birds over for health before bringing them home. Look at their surroundings, facial features and feathers. Then quarentine.....when one of my two hens had a heart attack and died I only had one hen left......I gave her lots of company, she even came in the house sometimes. She will do fine for a little bit of time. I hope you find another survivor! I am SO sorry for your loss.
    -roxy

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a tragedy! Hope you find a few friends for the survivor.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I am a bit far I am North of San Antonio. My husband works in Austin. I would give you three birds for free if you like. 2 Welsummer pullets and a Welsummer roo.

7. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    Here's a posting I found on the DFW Poultry yahoo forum:

Last week the Humane Society of North Texas rescues about 14 hens and a couple of roosters in Denton County, along with many other animals. According to the reporter who wrote the story (Steve Cambell - Ft. Worth Star Telegram), the shelter is bursting at the seams and needs to find homes for not just the birds, but all of the animals they have.

If you are interested, The Humane society is on East Lancaster in Ft. Worth (817-332-4768. All of the birds are said to be in "good Health", but adopting birds from an unknown source is risky.

CONSIDER THIS ONLY IF YOU CAN KEEP THESE BIRDS SECURELY QUARENTEED FROM YOUR CURRENT FLOCK FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS, and I wouldn't recommend this for novices.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/16/3601086/humane-society-of-north-texas.html#ixzz1gwyrpZEy

8. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I also have two gold laced Wyandottes [​IMG] I am sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. MadRanchTX

MadRanchTX New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I am Leary of bringing in new birds, also a newbie which is why I posted here hoping to find someone local and ethical. If I quarantine for 30 days will my one lonely hen be OK by herself that long? Cold is another issue I'm worried about. Doesn't get that cold here but we do get cold snaps. I wasn't worried before because they could huddle together for warmth if needed. Coop is not heated or insulated but it is dry and draft proof.

10. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] I am a bit far south but my sweet hubby could meet you in Austin [​IMG] My birds are very healthy and I have no known problems at this time. If you only have the one hen left you should technically quarantine any birds you bring in so you don't infect your coop or run but I think your lone bird is more at risk being alone. Can you put her in a dog carrier on cold nights that you can bring inside since you don't have a cuddle buddy for her? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by