1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slaughtered barred rock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nick citarella, Apr 15, 2009.

1. nick citarella

nick citarella New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I woke to find this morning my 1 year old barred rock hen dead with her entrails hanging from her abdomen with numerous piles of feathers in different spots every few feet all over the yard, does anyone know the killing traits of coons, foxes, hawk, cat etc. Im going to try to trap it, and then i'll take care of it!!! She lives in a fenced in yard (4 ft pvc fence with 6in gap spacing between posts)and she no longer tryed to slip through the spacing anymore since she grew,but whatever slipped in or jumped the fence chased her, left feathers, and ultimately i found her back outside the fence a few feet away just left there intact with missing plumage and eviscerated!(there was a big cage in the coop with my other 4 hens locked away which i let out this morning into there fenced area, but last night i iresponsibly left her out because she does not put herself into the coop at night like the others, where i then just shut the door behind them till morning. She likes to hang out next to the coop under the overhand all night. Guess i learned my lesson. Anyone with any thoughts as to what the predator might be!?

2. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    sorry to hear you lost your bird!
    Go to the Learning center at the top of page and click on predators-gives you a list and how they kill.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Check the predator list. Very helpful.

Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by