Slaughtered my first roo!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Reurra, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I had a friend come over and dispatch the bird, but I cleaned him myself!!

Thanks to everyone here who have posted videos and threads on how to do this properly! It worked out perfectly! I was able to clean him with out any ominous knicks to unmentionable areas [​IMG]

Now that I have him all plucked and cleaned, he is sitting in the fridge waiting for the perfect recipe!

How shall i prepare him? He was between 4-5 months old, so Im not sure if he will be a roaster or a fryer. Any ideas would be great!!

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    If he was in my freezer I would have my mom fry him.

3. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  4. fhlstables

fhlstables Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2008
    I'm a great fan of chicken noodle soup. :)

5. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    lol we went with traditional chicken soup. I boiled him for about 5 hours on low until all the meat came off. He was cooked with onions, garlic and poultry seasoning, later I added a touch of flour, carrots and celery stalk leaves for flavor. The last thing I added was peaches and cream corn kernels. Peaches and cream corn is not cream corn, but kernels from the cobb that are very sweet, but when cooked in a mildly salted dish, it is reaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy tastey! And you just cant beat chicken and corn!!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by