slaughtering chickens

murphismo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
not sure where to post this. I live in Ohio in an area where chickens are allowed. Long story short, two of our peeps turned out to be roosters, which are illegal due to the noise ordinance. Is it legal to slaughter and eat them?

Quote:
Some towns have rules that state no processing of chickens. I believe that Fort Collins, CO has that rule.

You may want to post this on the Ohio thread in "Where am I ?Where are you!",they may know the specifics of your area.

Dont do it in the front yard, and dont advertise it. It would be my duty as an american to say no one is going to keep me from dressing a couple of chicken in my own backyard. Also remember that "it is easier to get forgiveness, than to get permission".

I see two questions in this. First, YES it is legal for you to eat what you slaughter and process yourself. Second, it may or may not be legal to slaughter a chicken on your own property where you live. You can either check your town, county, and state regulations to find out, or you can just do it quietly when nobody is looking. There aren't any dangerous by-products of slaughtering, so just don't subject your neighbors to the sight of it, and dispose of the parts you don't want in a sanitary manner. That should take care of the issue no matter what your area's requirements are.

I always seem to have the neighbors wandering around at 10pm to check out what I am doing when I slaughter. I thought people went to be at decent times like me. Oh well, they got over it and will continue to get over when I bring them some eggs...

PK

Pretty sure there is no law against slaughtering your own chicken in your own backyard in ANY state.
wink.png
Just don't do it in front of the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom