1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slaughtering sort of sick birds for food

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by caspernc, Nov 3, 2010.

1. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Say you have a hen who is not very nice and she gets a vent problem and you just don't want to try to treat, should you cull for food? I understand that the bird can't be sick sick, and you haven't given any thing to treat. Or say you have one that the other chickens can't get along with and they have pulled out alot of feathers. Bumble foot repeats on same bird and your tired of fixxing it. Whats your opinions and when do you NOT eat the questionable bird?[​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Vent problem-I guess I would want to know what the vent problem was from then I could decide.
    Feather pulling --does not seem like a problem to me.
    Bumble foot--I would be checking the pen but I think the bird would be fine to eat.

For me, it would be if the bird looks like it has a disease or I don't know what it has, then I wouldn't eat it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Picked hen? I'd eat it.
    Bumble foot hen? I'd eat it, just not use the foot for stock.
    Hen with reoccurring cocci protozoa? I'd eat it.
    Hen attacked by pet dog in good health but put down? I'd eat it
    Hen attacked by wild animal of some sort and put down? I'd burn or bury it deep.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Wild animal yeah.......not so much.......I don't share spit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by