Slaughtering weight? Cornish Rocks

jhook1997

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
New to "meat birds" and have 10 Cornish Rocks that look ready to slaughter. How much should they weigh when it's time to do it??? Need to know b/c we thinking of doing it tomorrow.

It is a personal choice that depends on what you want to do with them.

I would harvest at about 6-1/2 to 7 lbs live weight.

Fryers lighter than roasters.

Thanks for asking this question. I was just out in the coop and our Cornish Rocks are getting really big. We don't have a working scale here at home though...now what to do ?

Can anyone give me a 'jist' of the age of their Cornish Rocks & how much they weigh?

thanks

Mine will be 8 weeks on Monday. I was going to process my biggest 3 today--only did 1--knife slipped into my hand and 5 stitches. However, he dressed out at almost 5 pounds. I'm pretty pleased (except for the bandages, stitches and antibiotics....lol) I'm probably going to process the rest on Monday, maybe the smaller hens at the end of next week (almost 9 weeks old)

Good luck!

Ouch, sorry to hear about the cut hand.

We did go ahead and butcher 8 out of 10 at about 6 pounds live weight. They turned out to be 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 pounds. I could have waited a little longer and they would have been a bit bigger but boy were they tender and yummy. I did keep two that were a bit on the small side. I'm going to wait until they are at least 7 or 8 pounds and see if there is any difference in the meat taste.

I usually pick them up and feel their legs/thighs/breast for size and meatiness. It seems a little barbaric, but when my son was in 4-H we'd also look at pigs and consider their "hams",
lau.gif

Deb

Hello,

Sorry about the stitches too. I processed my first ever on Saturday, and had to skin it because I had the water too hot at about 170-190 degrees. Anyhow Dressed out weight at about 12 weeks was 7 lbs 12 oz for a rooster. Hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom