slaying the dragon!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akashia26, Feb 21, 2013.

1. akashia26

akashia26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington Co. AL
    the dragon being the neighbor's dog, a 150 lb. cur named duke.

while duke is a chicken eater, this is not the problem. he is well restrained (invisible fence) and i rarely lose any chickens to him from getting free. (his owner pays for the rare one lost.) However......

my knights errant (roosters) want to slay the dragon. duke sees them coming into his run as kfc delivery. can't blame the dog or the owner since it's the chicken entering his area. how do i stop them from doing this short of keeping them in a pen. doesn't happen very often, the hens stay away from the dog.

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Why don't you erect a fence between the dog and the chickens to deter the chickens from entering his area? You wouldn't have to completely fence them in, but a divider would be an obstacle that might make them change their mind.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I agree that a fence that they can't see through might work, but it would have to be fairly long. Chickens do tend to wander a good distance while free ranging and a short fence would be easy to go around and then see the "Dragon". Might really be just as easy making a large fenced pasture for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by