Sleep on roosts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine don't sleep on their roosts. They've got two, on either end of the brooder, up about 9" from the floor. They flap up to them all day long, but sleep all together on the floor along one side of the brooder (it's a big box I bent into a circle, so there are no real corners in it). How do I get them to sleep on their roosts - or should I bother right now, would I be better off to wait til they're in their coop and then they'll roost? [​IMG]

2. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    My BR's didn't sleep on them until they were about 5 weeks old. They used to fly to them all the time. My 4 week BO's don't sleep on them right now. I think it's when they feel like it [​IMG]

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    The same thing happened to me. When they were around five weeks old they went to their new coop. The roost was put about a foot off the coop floor. They never used it. I told my dh to put it up higher and they started using it. I would say it is about 2.5 feet off the ground at the most. I don't know if they like it up higher or if it was because they were a week older when it was put up higher. Anyway they use it every night now.]]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well I put my 4 week old RIR's out of the hutch on to the floor tonight for the first time since I have more chicks coming from Ideal on Weds. and I need to santize ithe hutch for them. They have roosting poles made for young girls and they immediately went over and climbed on. They are all on them tonight (I just HAD to go check on them) and maybe it is because they can see the big 10 week olds on theirs through the wire. They sure do look cute though. Man they sure do grow up fast. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    lovemychicks I guess I' am not the only one running out in my underwear checking on chickens. LOL!!!

My two girls are 3 weeks old in two days. I put roost in their brooder(dog cage in the house) right away. They loved jumping on it but never slept on it.

Last week I bought a Hutch( I think it's for rabbits) ,but is so perfect for them. I put a roost in there also. After 4 nights tonight they are finally sleeping on it.

So yeah I have been outside in my skimpies. Thank God I live in the country. [​IMG]

6. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Why I thought was perfectly normal behaviour, at least for us chickie mommies! I'm not the only one now, and don't you just love living in the country? Trudy

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Well, I have not run out in underwear, yet [​IMG] ! I put my six week olds out a couple of days ago. They were roosting on top of their brooder box. My DH put the roost in the coop the same hight as the box and............nothing! [​IMG]

8. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    They will get the hang of it , I promise. Perhaps put the poles higher then the brooder. I have mine with the 25 watt red light bulb hanging above the poles and they just really took to it, I honestly did not think they would yet as my 10 week olds took a long time to learn to roost. Now they get up on 6 1/2 tall roosts and if they were higher I bet they would go. So be patient, it will happen. Mine older girls are funny as they have 3 - 6 foot long poles but they all pack on to the highest one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:HOW old are they ?

COOP is where they roost .

we build our nesting boxes along one side of coop and roost area is on opposite wall so when they roosting they are NOT pooping in their nest boxes .

TRUST me , once you take them out of that box and put them in a coop , you dont have to teach them anything .

It was SO FUNNY the 1st. night the chickens were in their coop , when it started to approaching dark 30 , ( lol ) they all started looking up at the sky and headed towards the entrance to the coop . hubby built them a small entrance door and ladder . ONE BY ONE they mounted and entered the coop ... SO precious .

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Cajunliz, they are three weeks old tomorrow. I see from the other posts they're too young yet. They won't be in their coop for another three weeks (he'd better have it done by then!!!! [​IMG] ) so I'll just have to be patient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by