Sleep Time

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Yooperducker, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    Curious. Do ducklings sleep through the night or do they make a lot of noise? And, do they need to be tended throughout the night like puppies or are they pretty self sufficient? I built a Studio above my house and moved into it when I moved my Mom up so she could have the lower level, so it is a small but cozy space. Just wondering what I may be in for. [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Well, in my experience with Ducklings......They are like puppies at first....They cry during the night and need fingers to find their feed and to encourage them to drink.....They out grow that faze quickly though....Food and water at all times till they are feathered and then they can go till morning without food and water.....

Best of luck!

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    My ducklings were very quiet at night. They keep each other company, and if you have a heat lamp on them (which you should at first), it will provide enough light for them to see their food and water at night. After they outgrow the lamp, they are old enough to go the night without feed
    Hope that helps!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners would occasionally hold a party in the middle of the night. Not every night, just sometimes.

I agree - I let them have water with food 24/7 till they were fully feathered - they grow so fast! They need the nutrients and calories! They weren't really loud except the night I forgot to close the brooder door (they were in the guest room). They found the large potted plant. Oh, boy.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Einz was afraid of the dark till she was about 4 years old, so there was always a night light. I used ceramic heat lamps that do not produce light.

5. Yooperducker

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    Well as long as they let me join the party. The night light is a good idea....I wonder if there is a night light that doubles as a disco ball! [​IMG]

6. Yooperducker

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    So my plan is to set them up in the bath tub. I went to goodwill and picked up a bunch of small fleece blankets and towels (enough to rotate daily and wash all every three days).
    The thought is to layer the blankets then top with a "puppy pad" and towels where the heat lamp will also be directed.
    From the blankets some shelf liner will lead to the food and water at the drain end of the tub so they have a stable non slip surface to travel that will not get water logged and act as a buffer to their sleeping/play quarters.
    I also got them a big soft fluffy pink pony that has room for 5 little ducklings to cuddle with so no one is left out

When they get bigger I have an enclosure I used for my puppy that I can set up on some plastic or a tarp using the same blanket/shelf liner arrangement, etc. (open at top and bottom)

As I mentioned above, this is a studio so it is pretty limiting for space. We will be living closely. And yes, I am aware of the odor issue and will just keep rotating out those towels/pads and blankets. There will still be snow on the ground outside so unsure about short excursions outdoors in the snow being little guys but should be able to get some decent days to crack a window for some ventilation.

We will get through it just fine. Any flaws you see with my plan???

7. Yooperducker

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    To clarify, the towels/pads will be switched out as often as needed. I imagine a few times a day??? THen collected to wash on day three. Didn't want anyone to think I was waiting three days to change the bedding! Gross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by