1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ChickenLoverChrista

ChickenLoverChrista Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Do red "heat lamps" interfere with the chickens sleep?

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I here you always use red bulbs for heat lamps for chickens. The red also calms them down.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    The red bulbs don't seem to bother them as much as white ones. They won't bother you as much either!

4. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I've been using a red heat lamp for a month with my 'orphan' flock; I'd rather Mama raised them but . . . main thing I've read is to be sure the light doesn't have Teflon as it will kill them. That said, I can't see ever using a white light. Even using the red one they seem more active thru the night than chicks under a broody. Although in my rather limited experience, the younger the bird the more sensitive to light it is . . . my adults go to bed at dusk, the kids stay out almost until dark. And if I'm out with a flashlight even the babes under the broody wake easily.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I'm a chickenlover christa too! I've heard they can't see in that light spectrum well, so it shouldn't disrupt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by