1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleeping Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texas_chick, Mar 20, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    You know how chicks lay down to sleep with their neck stretched out and they look so content and cute! Do grown chickens still sleep like that? I guess I've just never watched chickens sleep...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    No, a few of my grown hens put their head underneath one of their wings.... I imagine they like the dark there. [​IMG]

I was out watching my month old chicks about an hour ago and it kills me how they just lay down and stretch out their necks... but I do have one Ameraucana chick that has started putting it's head under it's wing

3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Mine also put their heads under their wings. I think that's what most chickens do! [​IMG] Genie

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I only have a few chickens that sleep head under wing. The others are the ones who get frost-bite. [​IMG] I even had a roo who did this.

5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    All of mine sleep with their heads under their wings. Didn't know that it would be done any other way!

Suzy

[​IMG]

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    the ones i have dont do that .. i wish the did.. less chance of frostbite

7. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I love how they fall all over the brooder box like drunkin sailors. I love it! They just seem to be like "think I'll take a nap" and it can be anywhere. I started letting my week old babies roost on a stick in the bottom of the box and drape over it. I can sit and watch them for hours [​IMG]

8. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    some of mine were doing that yesterday when they were lounging out in the sun. My DDIL said they looked dead! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by