sleeping in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backwoodsman4life, Aug 9, 2010.

1. backwoodsman4life

backwoodsman4life Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    Our chickens will not get in there coop at night. They have been out there for 2 weeks now. At first we put them in there coop every night. then we put them in there for 3 days with out letting them out but they will not go in there on there own. The chickens are about 35 days old now.

2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    i had to hand place each chicken in the coop every night for about 2 weeks. i shut their pop-door behind them and let them out every morning. fortunately i only had 6 chickens at the time... after about 2 weeks, i went out one evening to put them up to discover that they had gone in by themselves for the night. now they go in by themselves every evening right about dusk. i leave their pop-door open and they let themselves into their run every morning. they're smart - they'll figure it out. [​IMG] maybe put a light in the coop for them?

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Try keeping them in the coop for a week, they will go back to the coop every night after that, if they don't try it for a bit more time. they will eventually get it... [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Some people put a night light in the coop to lure the chickens in at night. You could try that. I think it's a good idea to keep them confined to the run until they get the drift of returning to the coop at nightfall.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    the chicks are still very young they probably don't have a lead chick yet,mine were still in the house at that age when we built their coop I kept them in that for about 2 weeks before actually letting them out in the run, then I needed to lift them into the coop when it was getting dark, they would huddle in a corner of the run, it takes time, remember they are babies all their instincts haven't kicked in yet they're at the age that its more important feel the heat from the others, your the mother you need to keep putting them in until they are old enough to realise it for themselves.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i agree, they are to young to know any better, i kept mine in the house till 2 months old, then in the run during the day and a cage in the coop at nite, that way they know where home is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by