Sleeping in Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencoop789, Jan 30, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Some of my chickens have been sleeping in their nesting boxes so I assumed that they didn't have enough roosting space. I added more roosting bars and now each chicken has about 2 ft of roosting space. The same chickens are still sleeping in the boxes. How can I stop this?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

At night, after they settled in their boxes, put them on the perches. Do this a couple times and soon enough they'll get the idea.

HS Pye

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Remove them from the nest every night until they get the picture. It usually takes about a week. And make sure your roosts are higher than the nest boxes.

4. I have 2 roosters who have there own coops, and they have plenty of perch space, but they chose to sleep in the nest boxes that came with their coops. So it may just be what your chickens prefer. I am not exactly sure why it is a problem, is it because you can't gather eggs? Well, if you don't want them sleeping in there just take them out, set them on the perch.

5. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Its not really a problem but I just don't want them sleeping/pooping in the nesting boxes. Having them roost just makes it easier for me to clean up their mess that they make when they sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by