Sleeping in Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dsbailey70, Aug 18, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I bought two Partridge Silkies about four days ago. I planned on giving them a week or so to get used to their new home. They've slept a couple times in the roost (one on the roost pole), but also frequently together in a nesting box. Should I try to stop them from sleeping in the nesting boxes now, or after they've had a little more time to settle in?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I don't see why you couldn't do it now. I have two younger pullets that try to sleep in the box I just gently place them on the roost. It's been about two weeks and I've only caught them once so far.

Otherwise you could try the nest box curtains so its out of sight out of mind until they need them in which case it could be extra private for them too.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Stop them now. Chickens are creatures of habit. Old habits are hard to break. Block off the nests if they're not laying yet.
    Silkies don't like to roost very high so perhaps put a lower roost in. Just make sure the roosts are higher than the nests.
    Little is worse than constantly poopy eggs.

4. Clucktown

Clucktown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    In the past, I have had to "teach" a few of my hens where to sleep by putting them on the roosts at night after it is dark. After a few times of moving them, they figured it out.

5. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    The roost has a low bar in it, but I'm going to lower it more today, and use a 2"x2" instead of a round bar. Thank you, I'll try putting them on it tonight.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I haven't heard of nesting box curtains. I was planning on putting a small board across the nesting box entrances to block them (until I hear the Egg Song), but that sounds like a good idea too. I've been wondering too, should I be feeding them in the roost, or down in the attached run? The roost has a roost pan; that's where I've kept the feeder & waterer so far..

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    2X2 will work for silkies. Where it gets cold, one needs more like 3 or 4 inch wide boards so they can cover their toes. Chickens aren't really perching birds like robins and sparrows so round rods aren't the best thing.

I use a sheet of plywood that completely blocks access till they are at POL. When you hear the egg song, that will be too late. Access to the nest boxes should be by the 17th week. They like to inspect and try them out for size for a while before they lay. If they don't get a chance to do that, it may be difficult to get them to lay there. Just block them in the afternoon before roost time.

Where to put food and water depends on your situation. I like to keep food inside so they can eat when they awaken if I can't get them out and it prevents wild birds and rodents. Water is another story. I have nipple waterers in most of the coops but anything open like a fount, I like to keep outside, especially in winter to limit humidity.

8. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I'll keep that in mind for my two (1 EE and 1 BR) chicks; they're about 4 weeks old now, but I have them in a 100 gallon plastic stock tank inside, in a spare room. Out in the regular coop, the Silkies are 1,and 2 (the 2yo's already laid one in the box). How do I recognize the POL in them?

9. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    This is the 2nd time I have seen this, what is a POL?
    I figure it is something so simple it will make me look dumb.

LOL Yep, makes me look dumb. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Jaydawnlove

Jaydawnlove Out Of The Brooder

POL = point of lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by