Sleeping in strange places

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by amberrichardsonn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. amberrichardsonn

amberrichardsonn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    My dog sleeps under my bed, whenever i try to tease him out from under it, he gets aggresive, why?

2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Quote:you just answerd your own question.... why would you tease a dog anyways?

3. amberrichardsonn

Sep 15, 2011
    how else am i meant to get him from under the bed?

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I'd suggest offering a treat if you really need him out. Teasing him is a great way to get bitten, especially if he already is acting aggressive to your doing it.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:because when he is under the bed he's boss and you're not..... be his leader and call him out, not tease him out.

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would assume he thinks of it as his den or his place to go and feel secure. Then you try and 'tease' him out and he doesn't appreciate it. Sounds like he has some dominance issues or is really insecure.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it could be a million things. Easiest and first solution is "don't let him under the bed"

Does he go under there to sleep every night? When he is scared (thunder for example). Dogs like tight dark dens to sleep in, it's a natural instinct. He is growling because he feels threatened by you trying to make him leave his strange place. He might also feel that you don't have the authority to tell him where to sleep, really depends on your total relationship with the dog to know if that is the case.

Step 1: block off so that he can't get under the bed
    Step 2: provide him with a crate or similar so that he has a "safe" dark den to sleep in
    Step 3: work on NILIF and some obedience with him. Training is a GREAT way to bond with your dog as well as making life easier when he knows what is expected of him.

8. amberrichardsonn

Sep 15, 2011
    he sleeps on the end of the bed, but in a morning he goes underneath it, and i dont 'tease' him out, as in go under and try and get him, a show him a treat, he only does it when my bedroom door is open and no one is in it, i think he is trying to be the boss,

9. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    it's amazing how little of dog behavior has to do with wanting to "be the boss" Sure, some dogs are naturally more dominant, just like some people. The vast majority are pretty middle of the road and go with the flow - happy to have someone else take charge.

Either way, the first step is prevention. Don't let him get under the bed. Also, have him wear a leash in the house. If he gets under the bed, say "Spot, come" and give a tug on his leash. When he comes out, reward him.

If it IS a dominant issue, you would know it. Does he willingly get off the bed if you tell him to? Does he know obedience, follow commands willingly?

It's likely that he knows that if he goes under the bed, you are going to make him get out. He doesn't want to, so is complaining to tell you that.

10. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    also, your attitude is a HUGE factor in how the dog will respond. Matter-of-fact and self-confident tone. Hesitation, or worse fear, that the dog might bite can actually provoke a bite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by