sleeping in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ki4got, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I have 8 young bantam hens and 4 roos, about 4 months old or so. I peeked in the coop a few nights ago, and all 12 of them are sleeping in a 24x12 nest box... they free range during the day but always go back to 'bed' at sundown. I'm in the process of building a bigger 'house' for them but fear it wont be done before they start laying. the current 'house' really isn't big enough anyways, it's a converted doghouse (thought it would be plenty big enough when they were new LOL)

the doghouse currently has 2 perches at the same level as the edge of the nest. I'm wondering if I should make another nest at the floor level in case they want to lay? I can't see them laying and sleeping at the same place LOL

the new house won't be done for maybe a week, as i still need to paint and side it.

anyways, looking for thoughts/suggestions. am i worrying about egg laying too soon?

btw the hens are 3 dark brahma, 1 buff brahma, 1 red cochin, 1 oegb, 1quail d'anver,s and 1 ?? (very dark red, green black tail, clean feet single comb but her tail is more curly like the brahma/cochin's)
    the roos are black japanese, sultan, porcelain d'uccle, oegb. The OEGB's the hen i'm pretty sure is a silver duckwing, the roo is crele *i think*. he's grey/white speckled with a rusty wash over the saddle area and a little on the neck. just found some pics and i think he'll mature like that. (glad i didn't cull him)

2. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    My young girls kept sleeping in the nest box, which then gets poo on the eggs. At night, I went in and moved them to the roost. It took about 3 or 4 nights of doing this to get them to roost. Give it a try.

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:I would but right now their coop is one of those jumbo doghouses, and to get inside i have to take the whole top off... easy enough to do when nobody's home but at night with them all in there... that's why i'm building a new one. well that and because they got bigger than my imagination said they would when i decided the doghouse would work. oh, and that i ended up with better than 50% hens too LOL 4 roos 8 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by