Sleeping in the nesting box

TwoJsRoost

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
SW Virginia
Ok..... so we've had chickens in the past, but our new girls will not roost during the night. They want to huddle up in the nesting boxes instead. Havent had this problem in the past. They have a great roosting pole over a poop tray and even have steps to make it easier for them to reach it. My question is how do I get them out of the habit of sleeping in the nesting boxes? They've been in the coop for about 3 1/2 weeks now, so they should be more than use to being in there? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Have a great day and Cluck on!!!

Have you tried walking in there after they are asleep and putting them on the poles several nights in a row? If not that is a good thing to try.

Ok..... so we've had chickens in the past, but our new girls will not roost during the night. They want to huddle up in the nesting boxes instead. Havent had this problem in the past. They have a great roosting pole over a poop tray and even have steps to make it easier for them to reach it. My question is how do I get them out of the habit of sleeping in the nesting boxes? They've been in the coop for about 3 1/2 weeks now, so they should be more than use to being in there? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Have a great day and Cluck on!!!
Are there existing birds...or just these new ones?
Pics of inside coop showing roosts and nests may help here.
I'd cover the nests until they get in the habit of roosting.
How old are they?

Are there existing birds...or just these new ones?
Pics of inside coop showing roosts and nests may help here.
I'd cover the nests until they get in the habit of roosting.
How old are they?
This is a whole new flock, and they're almost 10 weeks old. I'll post some pics sometime soon..... once we're done with all this rain we're getting hammered with. I'll also block k off the nesting boxes. Thanks.

This is a whole new flock, and they're almost 10 weeks old. I'll post some pics sometime soon..... once we're done with all this rain we're getting hammered with. I'll also block k off the nesting boxes. Thanks.
We just spent two days getting rained on.....I feel ya!

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1589988789457.png

We just spent two days getting rained on.....I feel ya!

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2150069
I will go and take care of that now, but we are located in SW Virginia, at the bottom of the BlueRidge Mountains. Our climate is generally very tolerable all year.

Back
Top Bottom