Sleeping on Bale of Pine Shavings?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My 2-year-old Barred Rock has chosen to go to bed atop a big bale of pine shavings I have in their coop. It is wrapped in plastic.

Do you think it is odd that she would sleep on plastic. I'm wondering if the plastic could make her breast awfully hot and cause her to go broody?

Tonight she had a hard time deciding where to sleep. I had put the bale in the coop only yesterday, to protect it from the rain, and she slept on it last night. Tonight she hopped back and forth between the bale and the nesting box several times before deciding on the bale.

She's never been one to roost very high. The rooster and 2 pullets are on the high shelf. The Barred Rock is heavy and has never been one to jump up onto high places.

The Sebright Bantam also had a hard time deciding where to roost but finally decided on the tiny perch above the nesting box.

Both of the girls made their decisions final when I closed the coop door. It seemed the light of dusk kept them in confusion about where to sleep, but once it was dark inside, they decided. The rooster and the 2 large pullets had no trouble deciding to roost up high.

Do you think this is peculiar, especially sleeping on the plastic-wrapped bale? Maybe I should take it out of the coop tomorrow? I'm sure it is nice and soft to sleep on.

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I have a little bantam Cochin x RIR pullet who sleeps on the floor between the bins of feed and four 11-week-olds who won't sleep anywhere except for in the large metal food bowl, so yours isn't really weird [​IMG] No one knows why chickens choose to sleep where they do. I wouldn't worry about it unless you need the shavings. She could be being picked on when she tries to roost or just not like jumping onto the roost or just, for some odd chicken reason, like the bale of pine shavings more [​IMG]

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks Fleabuskitty. I feel better.

I wondered whether there might be mites in the nest box, and the plastic might be a protection against them? But the other chickens don't seem to be bothered. However, this one chicken sleeping on the bale is my oldest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by