1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleeping on the roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamahenAtlanta, Aug 12, 2014.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Out of the brooder and in the coop for two nites now (4.5 weeks old). Not sure about the first night, but the second night they slept all together on their roost--which is about 3 feet high. Of course, it is 6 feet long and they only used 1 foot of space (six of them smooshed together). I know this because I hung a night light for them (obviously not necessary--they were already up on the roost sleeping when I put the light in!) I assumed they would sleep huddled on the floor for a while. They are so mature. LOL [​IMG] Their first venture into the coop they immediately went onto the roost. I was so surprised!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's pretty good! LOL I've raised so many chicks and they usually cluster on the coop floor in a corner for a few weeks.

3. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    AND.... last night I was prepared to go sit in my chair to wait them out.... to see if they'd go into the coop on their own for the night (which I doubted). Right now they are in the coop all day/nite with just an hour or 2 of 'play time' in the run when I get home from work. I turned on the coop 'night light' and they all rushed in and got in line on their little ladder and up to the roost they went! All settled in for sleep all by their big girl selves! I was SO proud. Do they even need any kind of light inside the coop for night? Someone told me that if they fell off the roost they might have trouble getting back up if it's pitch black dark. True? My six are just 5 weeks old.

4. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    That's awesome that they are roosting right away. I have some that it seems to take forever and multiple "forcible" positionings on the perches to give them a clue. It's not good for them to lay in the poo night after night.

Anyway, I don't think you need the light. If it's a white light, it will disturb their day/night cycle, and you don't want that. Try it without the light at all and check on them well after dark with a flashlight. I suspect they will be fine.

They rarely fall. When they sleep, their toes pretty much lock on to the perch. If they get knocked off by another bird, they usually get back up. Their dark vision is poor, but they know from experience where the perch is.

Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by