1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleeping outside, even in the snow

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vickichicki, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I received two RP turkey as a rescue from the DNR. They are tom and hen. Can not put an age to them but I would guess they are sill young.

Here is my issues / questions.

We made a pen for them approx 10x14 with a hutch they can go into. Did the research on here for some door sizes and nest box size etc. There is a covered roost which neither of them use.

My hen sleeps on top of the hutch with a covering of tarps on the top (approx 2 feet taller than the hutch) and two sides over that and the tom sleeps in the corner, opposite corner of the pen. This includes snow, rain and freezing rain. No sheilding from the elements as the tarps . Any suggestions on how I can coax him to sleep somewhere warmer? I have thought about locking them in the hutch over night but I would hate to take away their freedom on going outside.

Could it be a mating thing and he feels like he needs to sleep where he can keep an eye on everything for his lady? Should I remove the tarps which should force them to use the hutch?

Am I just being over protective? Surley if he was freezing his butt off he would seek better shelter right.... right?

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    My birds are outside right now in blowing snow. They only seek shelter when things are really tough. They stay outside year round no matte how cold it gets, and it can be cold in Minnesota. They don't seem to frostbite like chickens, I wouldn't worry about them.

3. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    My turkeys are a tad spoilt. They have an old camper for a coop. They go in every night no problem, but they need to be taught that. Mine love to lay in a sun beam or just relax in there during the day while waiting for a nest box or after. They have food and water in their coop which they do eat, but they also like to eat the duck and geese feed. They run around all day long free ranging, but if I call they come running. My turkeys also like to sit on my doorstep begging for treats, so yes a tad spoilt. Doesn't matter the weather they love running around outside and don't understand why I won't come play when the weather is bad. I'm their fair weather friend.

4. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    I found they like to rooster in a location that gives them a good look out advantage.
    You could experiment by building a new roost in an area that would give them that advantage.

I once heard that you should not worry about if a bird uses your roost or nest.
    It only means you are a bad roost and nest builder.
    lol

5. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.

I shall be asking DH to build a small roosting spot on that side so at least he is off the wet floor. Guess I can not force the Tom to behave and go inside, as much as I want too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by